Job Posting: Program Director — Child Care Initiative
The ICA Group is working to transform the child care industry through cooperative ownership models. Starting in Illinois and New York, ICA is converting child care centers to worker ownership and incubating a cooperative network of child care businesses, linking both family child care and center-based businesses through shared services, technology, and advocacy. These networks will serve to strengthen child care businesses, increase worker pay and self-determination, and expand access to care, especially in low-income communities. As Child Care Program Director you will take a leading role in shaping and overseeing this innovative project as it expands into additional U.S. states, including Pennsylvania, Mississippi, and Michigan.
This is a full-time position based in our Northampton, Massachusetts office and requires a fair amount of travel. Candidates with the requisite skill set located in one of the following metropolitan areas will be considered: Chicago, IL; Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, PA; Detroit, MI; Jackson, MS; New York City, NY; or Boston, MA.
The Child Care Program Director will manage our growing child care team, taking a leadership position in developing and managing projects. Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Program Vision and Management:
- Work closely with the leadership team and child care team to shape the vision, scope, and strategy for the initiative
- Work closely with the child care team to develop and manage a work plan for the overall initiative as well as work plans for each state
- Ensure timely execution of milestones, reporting to clients and funders, and high-quality work-product
- Outreach, Fundraising, and Relationship Management
- Represent The ICA Group at events
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders
- Seek out and secure additional funding streams for ICA’s child care work
- Project Work
- Work with the child care team to identify and frame the critical strategic and organizational issues facing ICA’s child care clients.
- Build and maintain strong, collaborative client relationships with respect to objectives, critical issues, work plan, implications, recommendations, potential risks/roadblocks, and implementation plan.
- Facilitate individual and group decision making processes using best practices in facilitation.
- Provide a broad array of management consulting assistance to client companies.
- Conduct market and other research, including interviews and quantitative surveys.
- Become a content expert related to business and industry wide strategies designed to positively transform service sector occupations.
- Organizational Development
- Identify and deliver insights from clients that will be broadly applicable to other areas of ICA’s work.
- Contribute to the ICA’s strategy and communications by developing and writing case studies, generating research from client work, and serving as a subject matter resource.
The successful applicant will have five to seven years of relevant work experience; be able to work independently, take full responsibility for project management, and excel under pressure to meet deadlines. Candidates must be able to relate well to a broad constituency, including small business owners, leaders of community-based organizations, union officials, financial professionals, and company executives. We are looking for an exceptional, dedicated person with superior technical and professional skills. Curiosity, intelligence, and enthusiasm are all key attributes for this position. Successful candidates should have:
- A demonstrated interest in early childhood education and/or social justice work
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required) and a MBA, MPA, MEd/MAT, JD, MA or other relevant graduate degree (preferred).
- Experience teaching, managing, or training within the child care industry (strongly preferred).
- Familiarity with common business practices within the child care profession. Experience in child care administration and/or management (preferred).
- Significant experience in both process and project management.
- Proven ability to engage in strategic issues.
- Outstanding analytical and quantitative skills, including a familiarity with financial statements.
- Ability to use data to drive insights.
- A proven ability to translate complex concepts and ideas into accessible, compelling narratives.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to build client level relationships.
- Ability to effectively manage team members.
- Ability to carry out multiple projects and meet deadlines while producing exceptional results.
- Fluency in Spanish (preferred).
This is highly satisfying work in a diverse and stimulating environment. The ICA Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Salary is commensurate with experience and benefits include health insurance and four weeks’ vacation.
About The ICA Group
The ICA Group is working to build a fundamentally fairer economy where every person has economic security and access to valued, dignified work. We are a mission driven non-profit – organized as a worker cooperative – that brings to the worker ownership sector a level of analysis and rigor offered by the most competitive national business advisory firms. We combine this with a deep understanding of worker ownership and other worker-centered structures and a commitment to serving low-wage workers and communities of color. Our program areas include:
- Industry transformation: Economic democracy can transform industries, creating competitive and successful firms that offer high quality jobs. We work in industries that are ripe for large-scale transformation to give employees a voice in their workplace and raise job-quality industry wide. We currently have program areas in the child care, home care, and temporary staffing sectors.
- Conversions to worker ownership: ICA is the leading practitioner of worker ownership conversion in the US for small businesses and worker cooperatives. We work directly with businesses to convert their company to a cooperative and partner with groups throughout the US to drive more conversions to worker ownership as a means to prevent job loss and create stable communities.
- Strategic consulting: The ICA Group maintains a general consulting practice to respond to the needs of the field. We provide the full range of business consulting services to worker-owned businesses, including consultations to help them grow, raise capital, or improve their governance or ownership culture. We also work with labor unions, cities, and mission aligned non-profits, finance institutions, and foundations that are interested in using market-based strategies to serve their constituencies. We conduct market studies, strategic planning, evaluation, and other services to help these organizations develop, launch, evaluate, and improve their program areas.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter (as a single PDF attachment), as well as a short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, addressed to David Hammer. Please submit your application using the subject line: “Application for Child Care Program Director”: [Your First and Last Name]”
No phone calls, please. We will call candidates to schedule interviews. We will accept applications until we fill the position.
The ICA Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We seek to create an organization that is reflective of the people we serve. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.