Job Posting: Communications Director
The ICA Group seeks a Communications Director to join its growing team working to expand economic democracy through the creation and growth of worker owned companies and other social enterprises. This is a full-time position based in our Northampton, Massachusetts office.
The Director of Communications will define and execute the organization’s communication plan, articulating our mission, successes and leadership in the field of employee ownership. The Director will work collaboratively with staff throughout the organization to ensure consistent and strategic messaging to clients, press, funders, and other stakeholders.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate an annual communications plan in collaboration with ICA’s Leadership Team.
- Oversee, and execute as needed, all copy intended for public consumption to ensure alignment with ICA vision and communications plan.
- Draft and design print and online collateral, including the ICA annual report and program brochures.
- Manage and maintain the ICA website and curate content for ICA’s social media channels.
- Prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Target outreach to national, local, and industry media outlets to build awareness of ICA’s mission and successes, and enhance reputation of ICA staff as subject matter experts.
- Build and manage media contacts and relationships.
- Serve as company spokesperson as needed.
- Write and edit grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations, ensuring persuasive and accurate representation of ICA’s mission and programs.
- Assemble and submit grant requests, including letters, proposals, budgets, and presentations.
The ICA Group is seeking an accomplished Director of Communications who has at least five to seven years of communications experience. Specific requirements include:
- At least 3 years of experience in a communications leadership role
- Experience in a nonprofit or advocacy organization preferred
- Proven track record of achieving communications goals (e.g. national media coverage, successful grant solicitations)
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills; attention to detail
- Excellent research skills
- Expert relationship building skills
- A high degree of cultural competency; proven ability to communicate with diverse audiences
- Self-starter, able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Suite
This is highly satisfying work in a diverse and stimulating environment. The ICA Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Salary is commensurate with experience and benefits include health insurance and four weeks’ vacation.
About The ICA Group
The ICA Group is working to build a fundamentally fairer economy where every person has economic security and access to valued, dignified work. We are a mission driven non-profit – organized as a worker cooperative – that brings to the worker ownership sector a level of analysis and rigor offered by the most competitive national business advisory firms. We combine this with a deep understanding of worker ownership and other worker-centered structures and a commitment to serving low-wage workers and communities of color. Our program areas include:
- Industry transformation: Economic democracy can transform industries, creating competitive and successful firms that offer high quality jobs. We work in industries that are ripe for large-scale transformation to give employees a voice in their workplace and raise job-quality industry wide. We currently have program areas in the child care, home care, and temporary staffing sectors.
- Conversions to worker ownership: ICA is the leading practitioner of worker ownership conversion in the US for small businesses and worker cooperatives. We work directly with businesses to convert their company to a cooperative and partner with groups throughout the US to drive more conversions to worker ownership as a means to prevent job loss and create stable communities.
- Strategic consulting: The ICA Group maintains a general consulting practice to respond to the needs of the field. We provide the full range of business consulting services to worker-owned businesses, including consultations to help them grow, raise capital, or improve their governance or ownership culture. We also work with labor unions, cities, and mission aligned non-profits, finance institutions, and foundations that are interested in using market-based strategies to serve their constituencies. We conduct market studies, strategic planning, evaluation, and other services to help these organizations develop, launch, evaluate, and improve their program areas.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter (as a single PDF attachment), a short writing sample and 1-3 graphic design samples to firstname.lastname@example.org, addressed to David Hammer. Please submit your application using the subject line: “Application for Communications Director”: [Your First and Last Name]”
No phone calls, please. We will call candidates to schedule interviews. We will accept applications until we fill the position.
The ICA Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We seek to create an organization that is reflective of the people we serve. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.