Job Posting: Communications Specialist
The ICA Group seeks a Communications Specialist to join its growing team working to expand economic democracy through the creation and growth of worker owned companies and other social enterprises. This is an exciting opportunity for someone interested in using their communication skills for social good.
The Communications Specialist will have a unique opportunity to define and grow the organization, its communications strategy, and its brand. The Specialist will work closely with the executive director and five-member leadership team to set organizational strategy and shape how we share our story, our mission, and our successes.
This full-time position can be staffed remotely or located in ICA’s offices in Northampton, MA, Boston, MA or New York, NY. For remote candidates, preference will be given to candidates in geographies where ICA has remote staff or longstanding projects, including Philadelphia, PA, Jackson, MS, Detroit, MI, Chicago, IL, or San Francisco, CA.
About The ICA Group
We believe worker ownership is an integral part of creating a fundamentally fairer economy where every person has economic security and access to valued, dignified work. The ICA Group is the country’s leading expert on worker ownership and the oldest national organization dedicated to the development of worker cooperatives. We are a mission driven non-profit organized as a worker cooperative that brings to the worker ownership sector a level of analysis and rigor offered by the most competitive national business advisory firms. We combine this with a deep understanding of worker ownership and other worker-centered structures and a commitment to serving low-wage workers and communities of color.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate communications plans for ICA’s program areas and consulting practice in collaboration with ICA’s Leadership Team.
- Work with ED and leadership team to identify emerging issues, strategies, and narratives related to ICA’s work and the opportunities associated with them.
- Develop and maintain ICA’s core collateral including a re-branded website, brochures, and newsletters.
- Collaborate with ICA leadership team to support the development of all public collateral to ensure alignment with ICA vision and communications plan.
- Prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
Relationship Management (25%)
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, including ICA partners, foundation officers, media, public officials, and key influencers.
- Establish and maintain a presence in the employee-ownership community.
- Work with ED and leadership team to track, identify, and address gaps in ICA’s networks of collaborators, funders, and clients.
- Identify events that offer key opportunities to elevate awareness of ICA’s work and represent ICA at these events.
- Support leadership team in seeking out additional funding streams for ICA’s work.
- Write and edit grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations, ensuring persuasive and accurate representation of ICA’s mission and programs.
- Assemble and submit grant requests, including letters, proposals, budgets, and presentations.
Media Relations (10%)
- Target outreach to national, local, and industry media outlets to build awareness of ICA’s mission and successes, and enhance reputation of ICA staff as subject matter experts.
- Build and manage media contacts and relationships.
- Coach leadership team and other staff in the development of talking points and media strategy related to their program areas.
- Serve as company spokesperson as needed.
The ICA Group is seeking creative, self-directed, and accomplished candidates who have at least 5 years of communications or development experience.
Specific requirements include:
- Proven track record of achieving communications goals (e.g. shaping strong narratives, media coverage)
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills; attention to detail
- Expert relationship building skills and ability to develop rapport with diverse stakeholders
- Experience in a nonprofit or advocacy organization (preferred)
- A high degree of cultural competency
- Experience working with graphic designers to effectively execute an organization’s vision (preferred)
- Self-starter, able to work both independently and collaboratively
This is highly satisfying work in a diverse and stimulating environment.
- Salary range: $65,000-$85,000. ICA’s salary range considers experience and local cost of living.
- Benefits package includes 4 weeks of vacation, 12 paid holidays, 8 days of sick leave, and employer paid health insurance.
About Being on Staff
ICA is a rapidly growing nonprofit. Sixty-five percent of our staff have been with the organization for 2-years or less. Accordingly, everyone on staff is expected to help build organizational capacity, processes, and culture. Sixty percent of our staff work out of our offices in Northampton, MA, Boston, MA and New York, NY and forty percent work remotely. We rely heavily on technology to stay connected and meet as a full staff every quarter in our Northampton office. Most staff work typical 9am to 5pm hours. When workload requires longer hours, we ensure flexibility about when and how that work gets done. We are committed to a workplace culture that supports working parents and other caregivers. We strive for work-life balance, while also holding each other accountable to producing high-quality work at a relatively fast pace.
Please email a resume and cover letter (as a single PDF attachment), as well as 2-3 short writing samples to email@example.com, addressed to David Hammer. Please submit your application using the subject line: “Application for Communications Specialist”: [Your First and Last Name]”
No phone calls, please. We will call candidates to schedule interviews. We will accept applications until we fill the position.
The ICA Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to create an organization that is reflective of the people we serve. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.