Job Posting: Outreach Coordinator
The ICA Group seeks an outreach coordinator to join its growing team working to expand economic democracy through the creation and growth of worker owned companies and other social enterprises.
The outreach coordinator will work closely with the ICA leadership team to develop strategic partnerships and client pipelines across ICA’s national program footprint. The ideal candidate is brings experience working with diverse stakeholders, particularly micro-to-midsize business owners, community leaders, business and economic development organizations, unions, and funders.
This full-time position can be located in ICA’s offices in Northampton, MA, Boston, MA or New York, NY or staffed remotely in Philadelphia, PA, Jackson, MS, Detroit, MI, Chicago, IL, or San Francisco, CA.
About The ICA Group
We believe worker ownership is an integral part of creating a fundamentally fairer economy where every person has economic security and access to valued, dignified work. The ICA Group is the country’s leading expert on worker ownership and the oldest national organization dedicated to the development of worker cooperatives. We are a mission driven non-profit organized as a worker cooperative that brings to the worker ownership sector a level of analysis and rigor offered by the most competitive national business advisory firms. We combine this with a deep understanding of worker ownership and other worker-centered structures and a commitment to serving low-wage workers and communities of color.
Client Outreach (50%):
- Build relationships with businesses and identify opportunities to establish cooperative ownership models.
- Engage with local groups and organizations that promote and engage with businesses and economic development initiatives in ICA’s program service areas.
- Bring a strategic and collaborative approach to engaging economic developers, policy makers, business associations, government agencies, and educational institutions.
- Present to economic development officials, small business support centers, and other stakeholder groups as well as attend partners’ events and conferences as relevant.
- With support from communications and program staff, develop and disseminate direct outreach campaigns targeted to business owners within specific industries (mailers, email blasts, social media campaigns, etc.)
- Help develop place-based communications and refine consulting tools and resources to meet local/regional needs and interests.
- Respond to inquiries and requests for information from partners, media, and other stakeholders
Business Support (10%)
- Participate in the development, promotion, coordination, and delivery of business training programs, conferences, and workshops.
- Provide business owners with technical assistance, support, and/or referrals as appropriate
The ICA Group is seeking self-directed, engaged, and accomplished candidates who have at least 4 years of relevant experience. Successful candidates will be comfortable taking initiative, scoping projects, managing priorities and time, and holding themselves accountable to realistic goals.
- 4+ yrs. experience working with any small business in a relevant capacity
- Experience providing technical assistance to businesses (preferred)
- Prior work with minority owned businesses, business owners, and workers of color is required.
- Experience with on the ground organizing and relationship building among communities of color is required. Must be able to communicate with a broad range of people and institutions confidently and effectively, with a critical analysis of power, privilege, race, class and gender.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required, including presentation and training skills, and familiarity with participatory and popular education. Strong phone skills and ability to build relationships remotely are key to success in this position.
- Strong diplomatic skills and judgment are required in this position. You need to be able to both see possibility and ask hard questions with respect and discretion.
- Must be able and willing to travel within the U.S. 1-2 times/month, often multi-city or for extended periods.
This is highly satisfying work in a diverse and stimulating environment. The ICA Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Salary range: $60,000-$70,000. ICA’s salary range considers experience and local cost of living.
- Benefits package includes 4 weeks of vacation, 12 paid holidays, 8 days of sick leave, and health insurance
About Being on Staff
ICA is a rapidly growing nonprofit. Sixty-five percent of our staff have been with the organization for 2-years or less. Accordingly, everyone on staff is expected to help build organizational capacity, processes, and culture. Sixty percent of our staff work out of our offices in Northampton, MA, Boston, MA and New York, NY and forty percent work remotely. We rely heavily on technology to stay connected and meet as a full staff every quarter in our Northampton office. Most staff work typical 9am to 5pm hours. When workload requires longer hours, we ensure flexibility about when and how that work gets done. We are committed to a workplace culture that supports working parents and other caregivers. We strive for work-life balance, while also holding each other accountable to producing high-quality work at a relatively fast pace.
Please email a resume and cover letter (as a single PDF attachment), as well as a short writing sample to email@example.com, addressed to David Hammer. Please submit your application using the subject line: “Application for Outreach Coordinator”: [Your First and Last Name]”
No phone calls, please. We will call candidates to schedule interviews. We will accept applications until we fill the position.
The ICA Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to create an organization that is reflective of the people we serve. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.