The ICA Group seeks a Social Enterprise Consultant to join its growing team working to expand economic democracy through the creation and growth of worker owned companies and other social enterprises. This is an exciting and unusual opportunity for someone interested in using their consulting, business, and analytic skills for social good. This is a full time position based in our Northampton, Massachusetts office. ICA currently maintains offices in Brookline and Northampton Massachusetts and has staff located throughout the country. Candidates with the requisite skill set wishing to work remotely will be considered.
The Social Enterprise Consultant is an integral part of ICA’s various project teams, taking a lead role in research and financial analysis functions across numerous areas. The work involves undertaking market research, analyzing existing and proposed businesses, conducting valuations of business, and developing financial projections. Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Conducting industry and market research, including quantitative surveys and interviews
- Preparing feasibility studies, business plans, financial packaging and strategic planning assistance for new worker-owned or community based social purpose businesses and nonprofit initiatives
- Assessing the viability of businesses being considered for conversion to employee ownership.
- Preparing business plans and financing packages, and assisting in financing negotiations for existing social purpose ventures
- Providing a broad array of management assistance to existing client companies.
The successful applicant will have four or more years of relevant work experience, be able to work independently, and excel under pressure to meet deadlines. We are looking for an exceptional, dedicated person with superior technical and professional skills. Curiosity, intelligence, and enthusiasm are all key attributes for this position. Successful candidates should have:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required) and an MBA or relevant graduate degree (preferred).
- A demonstrated interest in social justice work; a focus on economic democracy, cooperative development, or social enterprise development a plus.
- Strong analytical & quantitative skills; advanced Excel and financial modeling experience required; accounting skills a plus.
- Experience in developing and analyzing results from quantitative survey instruments.
- A proven ability to translate complex concepts and ideas into accessible, compelling narratives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A proven ability to work well independently and carry out multiple projects on tight time frames while producing exceptional results.
- Rigorous attention to detail.
- Fluency in Spanish is encouraged.
This is highly satisfying work in a diverse and stimulating environment. The ICA Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Salary is commensurate with experience and benefits include health insurance and four weeks’ vacation.
About The ICA Group
We believe worker ownership is an integral part of creating a fundamentally fairer economy where every person has economic security and access to valued, dignified work. The ICA Group is the country’s leading expert on worker ownership and the oldest national organization dedicated to the development of worker cooperatives. We are a mission driven non-profit organized as a worker cooperative that brings to the worker ownership sector a level of analysis and rigor offered by the most competitive national business advisory firms. We combine this with a deep understanding of worker ownership and other worker-centered structures and a commitment to serving low-wage workers and communities of color. To accomplish this, we currently focus our work in the following strategic areas:
- Industry transformation: Economic Democracy can transform industries, creating competitive and successful firms that offer high quality jobs. We work in industries that are ripe for large-scale transformation to give employees a voice in their workplace and raise job-quality industry wide. We currently have initiatives in the child care, home care, temporary staffing and grocery sectors.
- Building thriving local communities: City and state governments are interested in new approaches to economic and workforce development that serve the most vulnerable populations, including the formerly incarcerated and recent immigrants. We work with cities to help them address seemingly intractable community issues with a comprehensive toolkit of worker ownership and social enterprise development initiatives.
- Workers to Owners: ICA is the leading practitioner of employee ownership conversion in the US for small businesses and worker cooperatives. We work directly with businesses to convert their company to a cooperative and partner with groups throughout the US to drive more conversions to worker ownership as a means to prevent job loss and create stable communities.
- Strategic consulting: The ICA Group maintains a general consulting practice to respond to the needs of the field. We provide the full range of business consulting services to worker-owned businesses, including consultations to help them grow, raise capital, or improve their governance or ownership culture. We also work with cities, mission aligned non-profits, foundations and others to better understand and improve their program areas or measure their impact.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and short (3- 5 page) writing sample to email@example.com. Please submit your application using the subject line: “Application for Social Enterprise Consultant Position: [Your First and Last Name]”. Cover letters should be addressed to David Hammer. In your letter, please describe how your particular skills and experience qualify you for the position, and how you heard about this opportunity. All materials should be submitted in PDF format. We will start reviewing applications on a rolling basis on November 4, 2016.