The ICA Group is working to transform the care sectors (child care, home care) through cooperative ownership models. This staff position plays a critical role in putting our strategy and mission into practice. They will manage a diverse portfolio of client businesses in the care industries, including legacy businesses, businesses converting to cooperative ownership, and cooperative business development projects. Clients will range from micro to midsize businesses operating in low and moderate-income communities nationwide. This an ideal opportunity for a mid-career professional with strong analytical and client management skills and a deep commitment to social justice.
This is a full-time position based in our Northampton, Massachusetts office and requires a fair amount of travel. Candidates with the requisite skill set located in one of the following metropolitan areas will be considered: Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA; Detroit, MI; Jackson, MS; New York City, NY; or Boston, MA.
ABOUT THE ICA GROUP
We believe worker ownership is an integral part of creating a fundamentally fairer economy where every person has economic security and access to valued, dignified work. The ICA Group is the country’s leading expert on worker ownership and the oldest national organization dedicated to the development of worker cooperatives. We are a mission driven non-profit organized as a worker cooperative that brings to the worker ownership sector a level of analysis and rigor offered by the most competitive national business advisory firms. We combine this with a deep understanding of worker ownership and other worker-centered structures and a commitment to serving low-wage workers and communities of color.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
Client Support (60%):
- Advise clients in business best practices, methods, and techniques.
- Provide direct technical assistance to small business clients through the development of financial models, operational assessments, business plans, marketing plans, loan proposals, and related business development requirements.
- Act as a content expert related to business and industry wide strategies designed to positively transform service sector occupations.
- Provide advice, assistance, and professional referrals in the establishment and maintenance of business and financial records and recordkeeping system.
- Monitor TA activities and effectiveness of results, and prepares reports as appropriate.
Client Outreach (30%):
- Participate in the development, promotion, coordination, and delivery of business training programs, conferences, and workshops.
- Build relationships with businesses and identify opportunities to establish cooperative ownership models.
- Engage with local groups and organizations that promote and engage with businesses and economic development initiatives in ICA’s program service areas.
- Support communications staff in developing and disseminating direct outreach campaigns (mailers, email blasts, social media campaigns, etc.)
Organizational Development (10%)
- Identify and deliver insights from clients that will be broadly applicable to other areas of ICA’s work.
- Contribute to the ICA’s strategy and communications by developing consulting tools and resources, generating research from client work, and serving as a subject matter resource.
The successful applicant will be able to work independently and excel under pressure to meet deadlines. Candidates must be able to relate well to a broad constituency, including small business owners, leaders of community-based organizations, union officials, financial professionals, and company executives. We are looking for an exceptional, dedicated person with superior technical and professional skills. Curiosity, intelligence, and enthusiasm are all key attributes for this position. Successful candidates should have:
- Six years or more of relevant work experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and an MBA (additional experience may be substituted for degree)
- Familiarity with the principles and practices of small businesses, basic business accounting, and successful business loan proposals
- Demonstrated success in training, presenting, organizing, or other outreach activities
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with diverse clients and stakeholders
- Outstanding analytical and quantitative skills
- Ability to successfully meet multiple project deadlines on tight time frames while producing exceptional results
- Fluency in Spanish (preferred).
This is highly satisfying work in a diverse and stimulating environment. The ICA Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Salary range: $68,000-80,000 ICA’s salary range considers candidates experience and local cost of living.
• Benefits package includes 4 weeks of vacation, 12 paid holidays, 8 days of sick leave, and health insurance
ABOUT BEING ON STAFF
ICA is a rapidly growing nonprofit. Sixty-five percent of our staff have been with the organization for 2-years or less. Accordingly, everyone on staff is expected to help build organizational capacity, processes, and culture. Sixty percent of our staff work out of our offices in Northampton, MA, Boston, MA and New York, NY and 40% work remotely. We rely heavily on technology to stay connected and meet as a full staff every quarter in our Northampton office. Most staff work typical 9am to 5pm hours. When workload requires longer hours, we ensure flexibility about when and how that work gets done. We are committed to a workplace culture that supports working parents and other caregivers. We strive for work-life balance, while also holding each other accountable to producing high-quality work at a relatively fast pace.
Please email a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (as a single PDF attachment) to firstname.lastname@example.org, addressed to David Hammer. Please submit your application using the subject line: “Application for Senior Social Enterprise Consultant”: [Your First and Last Name]”
No phone calls, please. We will call candidates to schedule interviews. We will accept applications until we fill the position.
The ICA Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to create an organization that is reflective of the people we serve. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.